Combining my two loves of teacake and citrus this Lemon Syrup Cake ticks all the boxes. Made with almond meal so it is gluten free, also sugar free and deliciously soft and fluffy. Lemon in baking would have to be one of my all time favourite ingredients, it’s not heavy or sickening and the zesty citrus and honey gives just the right amount of sweet/sour combination.
Flourless Lemon Syrup Cake
Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free, Dairy Free Option
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup honey
rind of 1 lemon finely grated
1/2 cup buttermilk or nut milk of choice (DF)
1/3 cup lemon juice (around 2 lemons)
2 cups almond meal
1 tsp GF baking powder
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180’C/160′ Fan forced. Grease and line a round 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Combine egg yolks, honey, lemon rind in a large mixing bowl whisk together until pale and creamy. Gradually whisk in buttermilk until combined.
- Stir in the lemon juice, almond meal and baking powder
- Using electric mixer beat the egg whites in a clean separate bowl until soft peaks form. Add the buttermilk mixture to the egg whites and fold gently to combine.
- Pour into prepared cake tin and bake in the oven for 40 minutes or when a skewer is inserted comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin and Set a side to completely cool
- Make honey syrup by placing honey and water into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer then stir in lemon juice simmer for a minute then remove from heat.
- Let it cool slightly then pour syrup over cake. Serve