With Autumn (Fall) in full swing now here in Australia, the days are still quite pleasant and warm, the nights start to cool off just a little after dark which makes cooking warmer seasonal meals such as roasted vegetables more enticing. As the heat cools and the sticky humid days have past I find this is one of my favourite times of the year.
Not quite cool enough to get out the slow cooker Autumn (Fall) does brings out this earthy feeling of root vegetables and baked home style meals, back to simple home cooking. As we get ready to cozy up into our winter woolies Autumn is the perfect transitional time to start nesting and getting into the garden planting seedlings, vegetables and getting our hands a little dirty.
I have the perfect Autumn salad for you earthy beetroot with thyme, sweet honey sesame carrots topped with a fresh citrus orange dressing added to leafy green lettuce and Persian feta cheese. Not too heavy but still enough to make you feel satisfied and full. Delectable on it’s on or if you prefer as a side dish to a simple roast chicken.
Roasted Beetroot & Carrot Salad with Persian Feta & Orange Dressing
2 carrots, washed, peeled and sliced lengthways
10-12 small whole beetroots or 6 large, washed and cut in half or quarters
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
pinch of salt
1 tbsp honey
fresh thyme leaves
120g mixed salad leaves
100g Persian feta
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
juice of 1/2 orange
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 180’C (380’F)
- Place prepared beetroot and carrots in a larger baking dish
- In a small bowl mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, honey and pour over the vegetables. Top with thyme
- Roast vegetables in the oven uncovered for 45mins until tender when poked with a fork. Should be still a little firm. Let it cool.
- Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a glass jar and shake well or in a small bowl and stir.
- Assemble lettuce in a large salad bowl place roasted beetroot and carrots on top then sprinkle sesame seeds, walnuts and Persian feta. Serve with orange dressing as desired
Delicious as a salad on it’s own or as a side with a simple roast chicken.