This salad would have to be one of my all time favourites. Inspired by a local Mexican restaurant I actually order this so much that I thought I’d try and replicate it at home. I have to say that it’s pretty darn close and actually very easy to make. Perfect for sharing on Mexican night, or as a fresh and crunchy vegan/vegetarian taco filling or topped onto some baked sweet potatoes.
The trick is to char grill the cauliflower and corn on a bbq or grill pan, it’s what gives it that smokey flavour while keeping it crunchy for texture. A mix of freshness, crunchy cabbage, quinoa, parsley, seeds, roasted capsicums and dressed simply with olive oil and lemon. These simple ingredients put together makes a very healthy vibrant salad or accompaniment with grilled chicken or fish. Add it to soft tacos for a delicious Mexican filling or top on baked sweet potatoes just some of the many ideas you can do this this delicious salad.
Charred Cauliflower & Corn Quinoa Salad
1/2 small cauliflower, roughly sliced
2 corn cobs or 300g corn tin, drained
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/8 purple cabbage, thinly shredded
1/4 purple onion, thinly diced
2 tbsp pepitas
Handful parsley, roughly chopped
1/2 cup marinated roasted capsicums
2 tbs Olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 lemon Sliced in half
- In a large bowl place cooked quinoa, cabbage, onion, pepitas, parsley and roasted capsicums.
- Heat a bbq grill or grill pan on the stove on medium to high heat with a little oil olive.
- Char grill sliced cauliflower until slightly blackened on both sides add to the salad mix
- Char grill corn for 3-4 mins until slightly blackened shaking the pan around turning the corn kernels. If using whole corn turning the corn over so all the corn is charred then remove corn kernels from cob with sharp knife. Add to salad.
- Place lemon on the grill flesh side down and grill for 2-3 mins
- Dress the salad with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and squeeze the juice of the lemon. Mix well until combined.
Serve as a vibrant salad or accompaniment to grilled fish or chicken.