When we think of vitamin C our minds directly think of oranges and yes while they do contain substantial amounts of the vitamin did you also know that 1 cup of broccoli contains around the same amount of vitamin C to 1 cup of orange juice?
There was a good reason your mother always told you to eat your broccoli as a child and this is the reason why.
Why is Vitamin C important?
Vitamin C is an essential nutrient for keeping your immune system responsive. With a healthy immune system your body is able to fight against bacterial infections, viruses and diseases that might threaten the bodies normal functioning. Eating vitamin C enriched foods contributes greatly to boosting immunity thus keeping the body strong and healthy especially through cold and flu season and also at this present time of the Coronavirus outbreak.
I know that not everyone is a big fan of broccoli, kids being one of them so here I have shared a creamy broccoli and spinach soup recipe that is easy to make and quite frankly a lot tastier than plain steamed broccoli even though I love the vegetable my kids would say otherwise. Spinach is also extremely high in nutrients and vitamin C so double the dose in this recipe.
One word of advice do not overcook the broccoli the longer you cook it the less nutrients it contains, so cooking it until it is just cooked through is best for this recipe. This soup also freezes well so big batches are great to make and store for those times you feel a little under the weather and in need of a boost of vitamins.
Creamy Broccoli & Spinach Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1kg broccoli (1 large head)
1 leek, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 large potato, peeled and roughly chopped
4 cups baby spinach
3 cups vegetable stock or water
300 ml pure cream or coconut cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Black chia seeds and pepitas to top
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add leek and garlic and cook for 2-3 mins until softened.
- Add broccoli and stock to pot and bring to the boil
- Cover with lid and cook for 10 mins or until broccoli is just cooked through.
- Stir through the spinach and add cream cook for further two minutes.
- Take off the heat and blitz using a hand blender or pour into a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper
- Divide between bowls and sprinkle with chia seeds and pepitas