If you are making a conscious effort to detoxify your home from harsh commercial chemical base cleaners that can be harmful to your health, than making a simple DIY all purpose cleaner is a good start.
Apart from being cost effective, reusable, and better for the environment using natural based products do not include the toxic chemicals such as ammonia, chloride, sodium hydroxide, phthalates, bleach, artificial fragrance and more. Breathing in such fumes can contribute to breathing difficulties, eye irritation, skin irritation, and can even lead to more serious conditions such as cancer, nervous system damage and kidney damage. Making the switch to non toxic products is one step in the right direction to ensure your health is protected.
Start off by making your own all purpose cleaner for kitchen bench tops, tabletops, bathrooms sink, and surfaces note do not use on marble or waxed wood. For stubborn built up spots sprinkle a small amount baking soda to the area before spraying with the vinegar cleaner. Let it sit for 15 mins before wiping/scrubbing clean.
Do non- toxic cleaners actually work?
Non-toxic cleaners have been found to be just as effective as chemical based cleaners. Getting rid of dirt, odors, build up grime and grease without the health risk of breathing in all the fumes. Note that cleaning refers to cleaning of surface not necessarily disinfecting. Disinfecting will need high percentage alcohol to make sure germs are properly killed. I will post another recipe of a natural disinfectant cleaner later on.
I have included two different recipes one using essential oils and another using fresh lemon peel and lavender buds. If you don’t have lavender you can still use just lemon or rosemary leaves is another good choice. Lavender just gives it a nicer fragrance and more subtle vinegar smell.
For this recipe you will need a 500ml glass spray bottle. Whenever using essential oils be sure to use glass not plastic bottles.
Non-Toxic All Purpose Surface Spray - Using Essential Oils
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 3/4 cups water
30 drops lemon essential oil or equal parts lemon and tea tree or lavender
500ml glass spray bottle (can be found on eBay)
- Fill a 500ml glass spray bottle with water and vinegar through a funnel.
- Add your essential oils
- Place the lid on and give a little shake
- Using a microfiber cloth is ideal for wiping surfaces
Non-Toxic Lemon & Lavender Infused Surface Spray - Using Fresh Ingredients
2 1/2 – 3 cups white vinegar
1 cup lavender buds fresh or dry ( lavender if not home grown can be purchased through local herb farms, herb stores and some health food stores.) You are also use different dried herbs such as rosemary, pine or thyme.
1-2 lemon peels
This is a two part recipe. First you must make the infused vinegar then you can make up the diluted cleaning solution.
- Place lavender buds and lemon peels in a 1 litre glass jar
- Cover with the vinegar
- Cap the lid, secure tightly and give a good shake. (If using metal lid place a piece of waxed/baking paper over the opening before placing the lid on.
- The lavender will most likely absorb some of the vinegar so check back in an hour to see if you need to top up liquid so the lavender and lemon is fully submerged.
- Shake jar regularly and store in a dark place
- Infuse Lavender and Lemon in vinegar for up to one month.
- Stain the solution into a clean jar and store in a cool dark place.
- When you are ready to make the cleaner, dilute your infused vinegar in a spray bottle. Mix 1 cup infused vinegar to 2 cups of water.