Another quick and easy weekday dinner to share with you, gnocchi with a few ingredients and a creamy sauce. Gnocchi if you aren’t familiar with it are small potato dumplings traditionally made with mashed potato and flour. You could always make your own gnocchi and freeze them for a quick homemade meal mid- week or easy entertaining on weekends. We all need shortcuts in our lives from time to time so store bought are perfectly fine too.
If you can get yourself to an Italian delicatessen to find a more authentic gnocchi without preservatives preferably you will taste the difference. My local deli sells the Angelo’s brand and I have to say it’s pretty good. Cooks well and is still fairly soft and fluffy.
You can always remove the bacon in this recipe and add more vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus or zucchini for vegetarians.
Creamy Gnocchi with Mushroom, Bacon and Peas
500g frozen or pre-made gnocchi
1 jar tomato pasta sauce (or homemade)
1 tbsp olive oil 1 garlic clove, crushed
100g nitrate free bacon, diced
100g mushrooms, sliced
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup pure cream
Salt and pepper
- Heat a large pot of salted water on high heat until boiling.
- Heat tomato sauce in a small saucepan on medium heat until starts to boil, then turn down the heat to low and simmer with the lid.
- Heat a pan on high heat add olive oil and garlic and sauté until changes colour. Add bacon and cook for 3-4 mins until starts to colour and crisp.
- Add mushrooms and frozen peas cook further for 2-3 mins. Add tomato pasta sauce and cream to the pan and simmer until heated through.
- Cook gnocchi per packet instructions or until they start to float to the top.
- Spoon out gnocchi gently with a slotted spoon into a large bowl. Drain boiling water and place gnocchi back into pot, add the sauce to the gnocchi and gently stir through sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately