Have you tried zucchini pasta? Aka spiralized zucchini.
Spiralizing vegetables became a foodie craze a few years ago. I have to admit this is one trend I continue making regularly. Taking an ordinary vegetable and making it into a noodle/spaghetti brilliant idea!
Before all you pasta lovers get your knickers in a twist and start yelling it’s not really pasta, it doesn’t taste like it either well I have to agree with you. It definitely is not pasta and as soon as you get that out of your head the better. We would all prefer pasta of course but this is a lighter, healthier more nutritious option for people who want to feel like they are delving into that comfort bowl of carbs but without the heavy, sluggish feeling you get afterwards. Not to mention fewer calories and easier on the digestive system, perfect for gluten intolerance and celiacs or anyone for that matter.
If you haven’t already go buy yourself a spiralizer they sell them in most kitchen shops. I have even seen them in the big chain stores pretty inexpensive too. Give it a try then let me know what you think.
I have made a vegetarian/vegan version of bolognese so would that make it veganese?? Anyway contains lentils and eggplant as the star ingredients and is ridiculously good. The eggplant I picked from my garden and decided to add it to the sauce giving it an extra depth flavour. The hit of chilli also adds a punch!
Zucchini Pasta with Lentil & Eggplant Bolognese
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 carrot, finely diced
1 celery stick, finely diced
1 tsp oregano flakes
small handful fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
2x 400g bottles of tomato passata
1 tsp salt
1 cup red cooking wine
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups dried lentils
small bunch fresh basil leaves whole
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
6-8 Zucchinis spiralized (1-2 per serving)
- In a large pot boil eggplants whole for 15 mins. Remove from pot and slice in half. (alternatively you can cut them in half and microwave on high for 5 mins) Spoon out the flesh with a spoon and roughly chop. Set a side.
- In a large pot on high heat add olive oil, garlic, onion, carrot, celery, oregano and parsley. Saute for 2-3mins until starts to soften.
- Add wine, tomato passata and water bring to the boil. Add eggplant flesh, lentils, basil, chili powder, balsamic vinegar and salt. Stir to combine.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 1 hour. Discard basil leaves and adjust salt if needed.
- Meanwhile roast cherry tomatoes in a 180’c oven for 10 mins until blistered and soft
- Serve lentil and eggplant bolognese with spiralized zucchini topped with roasted cherry tomatoes.