The Winter days have had me feeling more like baking. Maybe it’s because we don’t feel like braving the cold outside, the home comfort of staying warm indoors. Having time at home gives us some spare hours over the weekend to do the things we love in my case baking or maybe just because we feel like turning the kettle on more often to warm our frosty fingers. Whatever the reasons I’m not complaining I love getting my hands dirty in the kitchen. There is just something so satisfying and homely about baking something from scratch wouldn’t you agree?
Scones are an english tradition going back centuries, found on almost every high tea menu though very simple to make many can come out hard, crumbly or bland if not made correctly. My Blueberry and Vanilla Spelt Scones were perfect, soft in the centre firm on the outside with a hint of blueberries. I wonder if the queen would approve of these ones. Well, I am happy to settle on taste testing them with my boys this afternoon.
They are best enjoyed warm with some homemade jam (recipe to come) and an afternoon cuppa, guilt free too because they are also refined sugar-free with just little natural honey added to hit the sweet spot.
Blueberry and Vanilla Spelt Scones
2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
60g butter, cubed
1 cup buttermilk or milk of choice
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp raw honey
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180’C
- Place flour, baking powder in a bowl, add butter, using your fingertips rub the butter into the flour until resembles fine breadcrumbs consistency.
- Add the milk, vanilla and honey with a butter knife gently mix through.
- Add the blueberries mix again to combine
- Turn onto a lightly floured bench and gently knead to dough together adding a little more flour if needed. Shape into a flattened 20cm round shape.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and gently lift the dough onto baking tray. With a knife cut into 8 pieces
- Bake in oven for 30 mins or until golden brown
Best served warm with some butter and homemade jam and cream