Have you ever tried lettuce instead of bread buns?
I like to switch it up and use lettuce as a healthier alternative to burger or Mexican night. This vegetarian burger version is packed with the goodness of quinoa, we all know how much I love quinoa. It is such a versatile ingredient to use instead of rice, meat, pasta and makes can be used in so many dishes. Now who would have thought even a quinoa burger. Black beans, capsicum, paprika, hint of chilli gives it that Mexican flair with the addition of avocado you seriously can’t go wrong.
We love quick easy dinner choices during the week and Mexican or burger nights the kids get super excited about. Quinoa burgers are still a stretch for my boys so I made them homemade lean beef burgers with hidden veggies. They do like lettuce so I’m lucky though the fresh bakery bread rolls are hard to pass up.
Quinoa patties are also convenient to take to work with a salad too and keep well in the fridge for a good few days. Add the sides you like smashed avocado and natural yoghurt works so well with a squeeze of lemon or lime to top.
Mexican Black Bean & Quinoa Lettuce Burgers
Quinoa, Black Bean Patties
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (1/2 cup uncooked)
1 cup can black beans rinsed, drained
1 cup mushrooms chopped
1/2 red capsicum diced
3 clove garlic crushed
1/2 cup red onion finely diced
1/4 cup rice flour
1/4 cup natural yoghurt
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or chilli powder (optional for hot)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
16 washed baby coz lettuce leaves
1 avocado mashed
1/2 lemon cut into wedges or lime
1/2 cup natural yoghurt
- In a large bowl add cooked quinoa, black beans and all the remaining pattie ingredients and mix well to combine
- Form 8 round patties pressing firmly to mould
- Either pan fry on a hot pan 4-5 mins each side or bake in the oven for 10mins each side
- Lay one lettuce leaf down top with patties, smashed avocado, yoghurt, squeeze of lemon or lime top with another lettuce leaf
- repeat with remaining patties or arrange on a platter and help themselves.