With the chilly weather upon us and all our over indulging in heavy hearty meals which is always so comforting at this time of year, it is a nice change to enjoy a super clean and nourishing soup from time to time to cleanse the body and give the heavy meals a break.
I know I’ve posted a lot of soups lately, but here is one I like to have when I’m feeling lethargic, bloated and to feel nourished or just because it is so good for you.
The warmer weather isn’t too far from sight and in only a few months we will be out in singlets and shorts again before we know it. After all we know how easy it is to get off track, so let’s get active and enjoy this nourishing bowl of superfood goodness to revitalise our body and souls.
+ I have given the options to add some quinoa, or rice noodles if you like and vegan/vegetarian options
Super Clean & Green Chicken Minestrone
1 tbsp olive oil
1 leek, cut in half, rinsed and finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 celery stalks, finely sliced
2 zucchinis thinly sliced
small bunch curly kale, washed stalks removed
150g green beans, trimmed and cut in thirds
400g tin cannellini beans, rinsed
8 cups (2L) vegetable or chicken stock
2 chicken breasts shredded, poached or bbq pre-cooked chicken
Small handful basil leaves
Salt and Pepper
++Optional- sliced chilli, chilli salt, 1 cup rinsed pre-cooked white quinoa or 1 cup lightly crushed rice noodles
+++for vegan/vegetarian option leave chicken out or replace with some silken tofu
- In a large pot on high heat add olive oil, garlic and leek and saute for 2-3mins until softened.
- Add celery, zucchini, kale, green beans and stock to the pot and bring to the boil
- Option- Add chilli, and cooked quinoa or rice noodles
- Turn heat down to a simmer then add cannellini beans, shredded chicken and cook for 5 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
- Add basil leaves and season with salt and pepper and some grated parmesan cheese if you like