Undeniably the best guilt free afternoon treat!
Banana Bread is a household staple in most homes. Its one thing people find easiest to make and enjoy with an afternoon cuppa. Usually containing brown sugar and white wheat flour, my version is more wholesome using natural unprocessed sweeteners and unprocessed buckwheat flour for easier digestion. This is a basic recipe you can leave out the raspberries for plain banana bread or add other things to it also, such as dark choc chips, blueberries, walnuts, dates, whatever you like really.
Good recipe to keep handy!
Basic Banana Bread
1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
1/3 cup rice malt syrup, honey or coconut sugar (though coconut sugar contains fructose)
1 tsp baking powder (gf )
1/2 tsp baking soda (bi-carb)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup mashed banana (approx 3 )
1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
*1 cup of frozen raspberries or other fruit or nuts
- Preheat oven to 160’c or 325’F
- Place all the dry ingredients in a large bowl then add the wet ingredients
- Mix gently to combine
- If adding fruit or other nuts add now and mix through
- Pour mixture into a lined with baking paper loaf tin
- Bake for 1 hour 10mins or until cooked through when a skewer comes out clean
- Cool on a wire rack
- Can be sliced and wrapped into individual portions and placed in the freezer for school lunches or afternoon tea.