Pancakes are my families favourite weekend breakfast and this is my favourite recipe for them. They are super easy even the kids love to get in on the fun. The store-bought premixes contain loads of refined sugars and preservatives I promise you these pancakes are just as fluffy, just as sweet and just as delicious without the nasties.
Buckwheat flour is gluten-free so perfect for people with wheat intolerance though in this recipe I’ve used half Buckwheat and half Spelt flour as I find when mixed with a glutenous flour it gives a fluffier lighter result than dense pancake. Spelt Flour is NOT gluten-free however the gluten within spelt is a lot easier for some people to digest making it a better alternative. If you have a gluten intolerance or are celiac you can use only buckwheat flour instead.
This is a basic recipe, you can add other ingredients to this such as blueberries, strawberries, sultanas, sliced apple or choc chip if you like. Also great for school lunch boxes. A easy recipe to keep in the recipe folder.
Buckwheat Banana Pancakes
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
3/4 cup spelt flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup mashed bananas (approx 3)
3/4 cup milk of choice
1/4 cup rice malt syrup or maple syrup
*You can substitute flours for wholemeal plain flour if you prefer
- In a large bowl add all ingredients then whisk together till thick batter consistency if mixture is too thick add a little more milk. Let is sit for 5 mins
- Heat a non stick fry pan on medium heat, add 1 heaped tablespoons of mixture into pan
- Once bubbles start to appear flip them over and cook for a further minute until just browned
- Repeat using all remaining batter
- Add your favourite toppings such as sliced strawberries, blueberries, banana and maple syrup