Changing some of the ingredients in your favourite weekend drinking snack or hangover meal can still be tasty without all the excess calories that you kick yourself for eating later on.
Inspired by issue 6 Donna Hay Fresh & Light Magazine where she included some lighter more nutritious alternatives to the heavy, cheesy Mexican favourite was a brilliant idea and was too eager to try it out. Perfect for a lazy weekend in front of the Netflix wouldn’t you agree?
*Warning this has a good kick of heat so adjust the hot paprika/cayenne to your personal heat levels Or omit it for a mild child friendly version.
The leftovers of any of the lentil mix is also great for topping of baked sweet potatoes or on toast with poached eggs, as a stuffing in capsicums (bell peppers) or mushrooms, the possibilities are endless.
Smokey Lentil and Brown Rice Nachos
A quick and easy weekend dish that is perfect for lounging around or having friends over
1tsp olive oil
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 cup cooked brown rice
400g can lentils drained and rinsed
400g tin crushed tomatoes
1 tsp hot paprika or cayenne pepper or omit for a mild verison
1 tsp smoked paprika
Salt and pepper
300g mission corn tortilla chips
1/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese (optional)
1/2 cup labne or Greek style yoghurt
1 zucchini spiralised
Baby spinach leaves
1/2 avocado sliced
- Preheat oven to 180’c (350’F)
- Heat oil in a large frypan and add garlic cook for 1 min.
- Add lentils, rice and cook for 2 mins, stirring occasionally
- Add the tomato, hot paprika, smoked paprika, water, salt and pepper
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside
- Place corn chips on a baking tray, top with rice and lentil mixture, and scatter the mozzarella cheese place in the oven cook for 2-3mins until cheese has just melted
- Top with labne or yoghurt, spiralised zucchini, baby spinach and sliced avocado
- Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil to serve