My kids LOVE pancakes/pikelets they are the first thing they ask for when I ask them what they would like me to make them for a treat. They are so easy and I’ve adapted this recipe so its refined sugar-free and uses buckwheat and spelt flours.
Why Buckwheat flour? Well it is gluten-free so perfect for people with wheat intolerance though in this recipe I’ve used half Buckwheat and half Spelt flour as I find when mixed with a glutenous flour it gives a fluffier lighter result than dense pancake. Spelt Flour is NOT gluten free however the gluten within spelt is a lot easier for some people to digest making it a better alternative. If you have a gluten intolerance or are celiac you can use only buckwheat flour instead.
Buckwheat Banana & Apple Cinnamon Pikelets
Kids favourite, great for afternoon snacks and school lunchboxes.
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
3/4 cup wholemeal spelt flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
3 mashed bananas
3/4 cup milk (can use buttermilk, almond, soy or regular)
1/4 cup rice malt syrup
2 red apples cored and thinly sliced
- In a large bowl add all ingredients except the apple, then whisk together till thick batter consistency if mixture is too thick add a little more milk
- Heat a non stick fry pan on medium heat, add 1 heaped tablespoons of mixture into pan
- Place some sliced apples on top of each pikelet and sprinkle a little extra cinnamon
- Once bubbles start to appear flip them over and cook for a further minute until just browned
- Repeat using all remaining batter